Tuesday, March 8, 2011

YAYNESS!!!

Yes, yayness is a word. I declare it to me so.

Even if it may only land in the Urban Dictionary where invented words live.

:D

A got into QR, the super awesome amazing charter school (read: FREE) that really emphasizes the arts & where I think she will be absolutely thrilled. We toured several & this is the one that even just from the tour, she really wanted to attend & she has been telling many people all about it, and what she'll learn there, & what they start teaching next year, etc. YAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! (It was a random lottery so we had no idea if she would get in or not. I just opened the email that says YES!!!)

Okay, now for exclamation point part the second, A has been reading a lot this week. Besides Frog & Toad, she also has been reading through (slowly, carefully, & with a little help) "The Enchanted Castle," which features words like "disappeared" and, well, "enchanted castle." This isn't something she would have even tried to read say a month ago. She's doing beautifully--sounding out everything she doesn't know & not having any issues when I show her what it does sound like (and she's sounding it out properly--it's not her fault English doesn't follow its own rules). It also has new interesting concepts like a "sitting room" and a "fork" in the road. It's been a lot of fun so far.
So, while I was helping A read "The Enchanted Castle" this evening, C looked over and said, "Will you teach me how to read?" Okay!! She's been dabbling with it lately, sounding out letters in words & guessing what they turn in to, and I've been teaching her a bit on purpose and playing some letter games with simple words, etc. So we sat down & read through a very basic book (it uses three words in various combinations for easy reading) and she enjoyed that. After the first couple of pages she started, "I can do it myself!" and she sounded out the words, asking if she wasn't sure, and she did beautifully herself. Then I wrote a couple of simple words (bat, bed) and she read those correctly as well as one that A wrote for her (aldo, which was her phonetic version of "I'll do"). They wanted to do more but it was already past bedtime. Go go, super readers!

No comments:

Post a Comment